Congregation Machzikei Hadas is a synagogue with a proud history. The congregation first began services in a Murray Street apartment in 1907. In 1923 it moved to the corner of Murray and King Edward Avenue, and in 1973, relocated to Virginia Drive in the Alta Vista area of Ottawa.
Machzikei Hadas has provided for the community in so many ways. In its new location, it extends services to 500 families. These include a host of youth, seniors, educational, and public awareness programs. The synagogue has hosted or co-hosted some noteworthy events, including human rights day gatherings, an information evening for potential bone marrow transplant donors, and All-Candidates meetings. The synagogue supplied the resources to launch the community Eruv, and continues to maintain it. In the period leading up to the referendum, Congregation Machzikei Hadas served as the base for Clergy for a United Canada, which amassed 6,000 signatures from clergy across Canada calling on our great country to remain together. The great achievements of this Congregation have been made possible by the selfless dedication of so many men and women who have worked, on behalf of the synagogue, to enhance the community.
Congregation Machzikei Hadas is the first synagogue in the history of the Commonwealth to be granted a Coat of Arms.