About UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
At UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, our vision is to lead the most vibrant Jewish community in North America - a community characterized by its diversity, unity, compassion, generosity and commitment to Jewish values. Together with our philanthropic, volunteer and professional leadership, we’re changing lives.
As one of North America’s leading Jewish non-profits, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto works to preserve and strengthen the quality of Jewish life in Greater Toronto, Canada, Israel and around the world. UJA advances this mission through fundraising, programs, and research focused on our strategic pillars: fighting poverty and improving well-being, growing Jewish education and identity, countering antisemitism and hate, and strengthening connections with Israel and Jewish communities worldwide.
About the Opportunity
The Manager, Campus Security & Training is a key member of UJA’s Community Security Team, with overall responsibility of the campus security program, ensuring that the various campus locations operate in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and in alignment with the UJA Federation core values.
The Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and management of all campus security and life safety programs, working closely with all departments on all matters related to security and life safety. The incumbent must act proactively, communicating regularly with the Director, Community Security and other leadership.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
CAMPUS SAFETY AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE
- Propose measures to integrate security, safety and emergency preparedness into the daily practices while maintaining support of other departments and functions
- In coordination with appropriate administrative leaders, develop and implement comprehensive campus security and safety programs, policies, and procedures
- Prepare and assure appropriate information regarding safety and security procedures and ensure the procedures are available in essential campus locations
- Serve as a liaison and, when appropriate, partner with local law enforcement and other agencies.
- Respond to and mitigate campus critical incidents, as needed
- Use the campus notification systems to communicate emergency situations and safety instructions
- Have excellent working knowledge of access control and CCTV systems
- Provide and facilitate training for UJA Federation, JCC’s, and Campus Security Staff, including emergency management & response professionals, and crisis management teams
- Coordinate traffic, parking, attendee access and directions, crowd control and safety measures for on-campus and school-related events off campus with the event point of contact
- Assist with transportation and accommodations for campus guests with mobility challenges
- Lead and support all incident investigations related to campuses
- Assist in developing disaster preparedness and incident plans
- Analyze incidents with the goal of preventing and mitigating future occurrences
- Assist and advise administrators on all matters involving criminal and or safety activities on campus
- Maintain up-to-date best practices related to security and safety
TRAINING IN USE OF AND TESTING OF SAFETY AND EMERGENCY SYSTEMS ON CAMPUS
- Conduct and coordinate security, safety and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling and/or facilitating training for faculty, staff, and others as needed. Systems include emergency call buttons, fire alarm system, emergency communications, and notifications.
COMMUNITY PUBLIC RELATIONS, COMMUNICATION AND COORDINATION
- Report any injury, hazard, or illness immediately to the appropriate department or administrator
- Formulates policy and develops training for staff response in various situations and interaction with all campus users directly face-to-face, and remotely via phone and written communication
- Train, mentor and develop security team members
- Adhere to all laws and regulations including employment related
- Complies with policies, procedures, and contractual obligations
- Ensure all criminal incidents that require mandatory reporting to government agencies are documented via security incident report. Ensure proper agencies are notified
- Request and schedule security staffing at appropriate levels
- Effectively utilize available technology to fulfill job functions and responsibilities
- Protect confidentiality of all sensitive records, documentation, and information
- Other duties as assigned
- Access to a reliable vehicle at all times
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar role
- Security training, licensing, and registration
- Extensive experience in preventing illegal activity and performing access control
- In-depth knowledge of security procedures and surveillance equipment
- Knowledge of security industry regulations
- Advanced ability to coordinate responses to security breaches and threats
- People-focused with ability to quickly build rapport with employees and stakeholders
- Proactive approach with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain a high degree of discretion and confidentiality
* This is a full-time permanent position 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Successful candidate must be willing and able to respond to any on-campus incidents, as needed.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume quoting REF# MCST-CS-663 to: firstname.lastname@example.org Only those applicants invited for interview will be contacted. Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of professional references and background checks including Social Media Account(s) and a Police Records Check/Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Commitment to Inclusion and Accessibility:
UJA Federation is proud of our dynamic professional team, which reflects the diversity of the Jewish community and general community alike in Greater Toronto. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all communities.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible workplace, and believe this is essential to ensure that every member of our team can thrive. We adhere to barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.