About UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
At UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, our vision is to lead the most vibrant Jewish community in North America - a community characterized by its diversity, unity, compassion, generosity and commitment to Jewish values. Together with our philanthropic, volunteer and professional leadership, we’re changing lives.
As one of North America’s leading Jewish non-profits, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto works to preserve and strengthen the quality of Jewish life in Greater Toronto, Canada, Israel and around the world. UJA advances this mission through fundraising, programs, and research focused on our strategic pillars: fighting poverty and improving well-being, growing Jewish education and identity, countering antisemitism and hate, and strengthening connections with Israel and Jewish communities worldwide.
Situated within UJA’s Integrated Development Department, the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto is one of Canada’s largest community foundations, enabling individuals and families to achieve their philanthropic goals in a meaningful and impactful way.
About the Opportunity
The Foundation Finance team provides accurate and timely financial information to provide strategic information to the broader team. Reporting to the Director of Finance, we’re seeking an analytical and capable, Fund and Investment Accountant to oversee the investments, transactions and fund reporting of the Foundation and its investments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Direct communication with investment managers, custodians and investment consultants
- Monthly review of investment managers’ statement of account (SOA), summarizing and recording transactions accordingly
- Coordinate and assist in the completion of documentation related to the setup and maintenance of investment managers including subscription documents, compliance documents, redemption requests, additional investment requests, capital calls, return of capital and income and expense distributions
- Monthly reconciliation of investment manager statements
- Monthly processing and review of investment income allocations in accounting system
- Preparation and review of quarterly management fees
- Tracking of cash and investment activity within the investment pool
- Preparation of reconciliations and year end working papers
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly dashboard reports and quarterly financial reports
- Working with operations and accounting teams to communicate fund information and returns
- Assist with the implementation of new CRM and accounting system
- Opportunity to be involved with data migration and UAT testing
- Other duties and ad hoc requests as assigned
- Post-secondary degree in accounting, finance or related field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years’ relevant work experience
- Current knowledge of fund and investment accounting, accounting systems, and investment return calculations. Experience in a not-for-profit organization is an asset
- Familiarity with Microsoft programs, Adobe, DocuSign, advanced skills in excel and ability to learn new systems
- Ability to work off-hours as required, including evenings or weekends
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to quickly build rapport with colleagues, investment managers, custodians, and consultants, and lay leaders
- Proactive with excellent organizational, analytical, attention to detail and time-management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain a high degree of discretion and confidentiality
* This is a full-time permanent position, union classification Level E. UJA’s normal hours of work are 34 hours per week. As UJA currently operates on a hybrid basis, the successful candidate for this role is expected to work from the office Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please note that UJA’s offices are closed on all Jewish holy days (yom tov) and the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbat).
** All employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the UJA's vaccine policy. Should you wish to see a copy of our vaccine policy please notify us.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume quoting REF# FIA-FDN-648 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants invited for interview will be contacted. Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of professional references and background checks including Social Media Account(s) and a Police Records Check/Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Commitment to Inclusion and Accessibility:
UJA Federation is proud of our dynamic professional team, which reflects the diversity of the Jewish community and general community alike in Greater Toronto. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all communities.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible workplace, and believe this is essential to ensure that every member of our team can thrive.
We adhere to barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.