Director, Strategic Communications
About UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
At UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, our vision is to lead the most vibrant Jewish community in North America - a community characterized by its diversity, unity, compassion, generosity and commitment to Jewish values. Together with our philanthropic, volunteer and professional leadership, we’re changing lives.
As one of North America’s leading Jewish non-profits, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto works to preserve and strengthen the quality of Jewish life in Greater Toronto, Canada, Israel and around the world. UJA advances this mission through fundraising, programs, and research focused on our strategic pillars: fighting poverty and improving well-being, growing Jewish education and identity, countering antisemitism and hate, and strengthening connections with Israel and Jewish communities worldwide.
About the Opportunity
The Marketing department at United Jewish Appeal of Greater Toronto is looking for a talented Director, Strategic Communications. Reporting to the Vice President, Communications and Marketing with a dotted line to the Vice President, Countering Antisemitism and Hate, the successful candidate will serve in a pivotal position supporting the writing needs of the Countering Antisemitism and Hate team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Write correspondence, message points, web copy, social media copy, newsletters, and other communications products that enable UJA’s leadership to engage a diversity of stakeholders, with a focus on UJA’s work to combat antisemitism and hate
- Write press releases, quotes for attribution, media pitches, and other content and tasks related to acquiring earned media to advance our core messages
- Develop internal communications on behalf of the Countering Antisemitism and Hate team to update and support UJA’s professional staff
- Post-secondary degree in communications, journalism, English, or related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ relevant work experience in communications and/or writing
- Ability to work off-hours on an occasional basis, including evenings or weekends
- Excellent writing skills and a high level of attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to quickly build rapport with colleagues
- Proactive with excellent organizational, prioritizing and time-management skills
- A self-starter able to leverage his/her knowledge, skill and experience to manage work from start to finish
- Ability to think strategically and critically
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Commitment to maintain a high degree of discretion and confidentiality
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Familiarity with the Toronto Jewish community, antisemitism, Israel, and/or experience in Jewish communal service is considered an asset
- Experience in journalism or politics considered an asset
*This is a full-time permanent position. At UJA we support a flexible work schedule and all of our employees engage in hybrid work. Engagement and connection are key to supporting the best employee experience and we want to ensure that this puts balance and well-being at the forefront of our approach to ways of working. In addition to a rich time off policy, UJA’s offices are closed on all Jewish holy days (yom tov) and we support early office closures to observe the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbat).
We look forward to connecting with you to understanding what you can bring to the UJA team and how we can support your career goals. To apply, qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume on the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto career site. Only those applicants invited for interview will be contacted.
Commitment to Inclusion and Accessibility:
UJA Federation supports a diverse candidate and employment experience. We are proud of our dynamic professional team, which reflects the diversity of the Jewish community and general community alike in Greater Toronto. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all communities. We encourage you to follow us to get regular updates on open roles. We are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible workplace and believe this is essential to ensure that every member of our team can thrive.
We adhere to barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.