ABOUT BETH TZEDEC
Beth Tzedec Congregation, founded in 1955, is a landmark synagogue whose mission is to inspire and enable our community to live meaningful Jewish lives. Based in central Toronto, and with over 2,100 member units representing more than 4,000 members, Beth Tzedec Congregation is a leading voice in the world of Conservative Judaism and among North America’s largest synagogues.
We are searching for an experienced and proven philanthropy leader who will have oversight of all fundraising and development activities at Beth Tzedec. The Director of Development (DoD) will provide strategic direction and leadership of the philanthropy plan, and will be responsible for execution and measurement.
The successful candidate will establish the fundraising infrastructure and will be accountable for fundraising drives, capital campaigns, special events, major gifts and planned giving.
A primary goal of this position is to build relationships with donors of all ages through strategic contacts, to engage and inspire donors, secure support, achieve fundraising targets and encourage deeper connection with our shul.
The DoD will report directly to the Executive Director and will work very closely with our Senior Rabbi, as well as Board members who will take on a more active fundraising role.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. A Master’s degree is considered an asset.
- CFRE certification is strongly preferred
WHAT CHARACTER TRAITS DO YOU BRING TO THE ROLE?
- A positive, “can-do” attitude, attention to detail, and a high degree of initiative.
- You are a genuine team player, a true mensch.
- Flexible, adaptable and resourceful; the ability to work independently and with your key stakeholders including the Board.
- Highly collaborative mindset and ability to influence across all levels of the organization
WHAT SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS DO YOU BRING TO THE ROLE?
We are searching for a seasoned veteran who can hit the ground running, a fundraising expert with experience working with senior-level executives. The ideal candidate has an excellent knowledge of the development process - understanding the principles of fundraising, donor relations, and proven success in annual campaigns, major gifts, and planned giving.
- A minimum of 8 to 10 years of experience in fundraising and donor relations, with at least 5 years at the senior management level.
- Demonstrated success managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources and a proven track record of achieving annual revenue targets
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to work with a range of numerical and other data
- Solid project management skills, supported by excellent organizational skills and the ability Knowledge of fundraising software programs (eg. Raiser’s Edge).
- Knowledge of the Canadian tax system and estate planning.
- Strong computing skills, aptitude with the MS Office 365 suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals and foundations to achieve annual revenue targets.
- Recognition, maintenance of donor database including best practices for record management.
- Ensure the development of a pipeline of future donors.
- Create and oversee an annual campaign.
- Create and roll out the major gift and planned giving strategies.
- Plan and execute major fundraising events.
- Develop, implement, and track comprehensive metrics; present statistical analysis and results to senior leadership and the Board.
- Working closely with our Marketing team, oversee the development of marketing collateral to support your initiatives.
- Promote a culture that is donor-centric, where requests are responded to with urgency and professionalism
- Seek out and develop grant proposals.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK AT BETH TZEDEC?
While we are foremost a congregation whose mission is to inspire and enable our community to live meaningful Jewish lives, Beth Tzedec is also a progressive and innovative non-profit business that offers a warm, friendly environment in which to work as we embark on a period of dynamic change.
Beth Tzedec also provides a competitive salary, paid vacation (including Jewish Holidays) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 31, 2023. The targeted start date is March/April, 2023. We do appreciate all interest; however, only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.